Age Old Recipe
NEW Section of www.apishive.com
I’m not positive we will be able to organize this right the first go around, however I will be posting recipes for you to try with your harvest. If you have a recipe you would like to share with other I’d be happy to post it here for you. Thank you again for everyone who reads, comments, and supports our efforts.
I recently was given a very old recipe book that held some very simple and traditional honey recipes, or recipes that have honey in them. As I read and turn the pages I discovered that some things have changed but honey is not one of them. I can’t keep them to myself. So I’m sharing one of them here. I don’t take any credit in testing them or using them, I just posting the one I think I’d like to try, as well as recipes we’ve made up over the years in our own household.
- 2 Cups sifted cake flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or other shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Sift flour once, measure, and baking powder and salt, and sift together three times. Cream butter thoroughly, add sugar gradually, and cream together until light and fluffy. Add honey. Blend. Add egg yolks and beat thoroughly. Add flour, alternately with orange juice, a small amount at a time, beating after each addition until smooth. Fold in egg whites. Bake in two greased 9-inch layer pans in moderate oven (350 F.) 30 to 35 minutes.
- I think a nice poppy seed glaze compliments this cake well.